Island Lake Conservation Area Ice Derby, February 9-18, 2019
Rules & Regulations
1. All contestants agree to abide by the regulations of the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act and the Rules and Regulations of the Island Lake Conservation Area (“Island Lake CA”), including the prohibited use of drugs and alcohol.
2. All contestants require a valid Ontario Fishing Licence if you are between the ages of 18-64 years of age*. For more information consult the Ontario Fishing Regulations Summary at www.ontario.ca/fishing
*NOTE: A portion of the derby falls during the Ontario Family Fishing Weekend. From February 16-18, 2019, a fishing license is not required in Ontario; if you are between 18-64 years of age and fishing without an Ontario Fishing Licence, conservation limits apply. For more information visit: www.OntarioFamilyFishing.com
3. Preregistration is available online or by phone and will close February 17, 2019 at 4:00 p.m. Pre-registered tickets will be available at the Rental Centre 24 hours from purchase. Pre-registrants must check in at the Rental Centre in person to pick up their ticket before fishing in the derby. Tickets will be available at Rental Centre onsite for purchase until the end of the derby.
4. Only fish caught after payment of contestant registration fee, in possession of valid ticket and angling within Island Lake CA will be eligible for prizes.
5. The Ice Fishing Derby (“Derby”) will begin on February 9, 2019 at 8:00 a.m. and will end on February 18, 2019 at 3:00 p.m., inclusive. Prizes will be awarded for all eligible categories on Monday February 18, 2019 at 3:30 p.m. outside the Rental Centre.
6. Cash prizes will be awarded by cheque from the CVC Foundation. Winning cheques will not be available on Monday February 18, 2019 and will be mailed within 10 business day to the winners.
7. Each winning contestant that does not receive their prize on Monday February 18, 2019 will be notified by CVC Staff of their prize and how to claim it. All prizes must be claimed and cashed by June 1, 2019 or prize is forfeited.
8. Persons age 12+ are considered an Adult and persons up to age 11 are considered a Child for the purposes of purchasing a ticket and choosing a category to enter the derby. In the event that an individual between the ages of 12-17 wins a prize, the prize will be awarded to their parent and/or legal guardian.
9. Regular Adult Derby Prizes will be awarded in three species categories: Northern Pike, Black Crappie, and Yellow Perch. Prizes will be awarded to the contestant catching the longest registered fish (in millimeters) in the categories listed above. Only one prize will be awarded per contestant. In the event of a tie, the prize will go to the earliest registered entry.
1st prize – $1,000 cash
2nd prize – $500 cash
3rd prize – $250 cash
Black Crappie – $375
Yellow Perch – $375
Early Bird – Gift Certificate
10. Child Derby Prizes will be awarded to the top three longest registered fish, of any species (in millimeters). The fish must be of a species that is in season. Only one prize will be awarded per contestant. In the event of a tie, the prize will go to the earliest registered entry. Prizes consist of an award and other contents to be determined.
11. Each contestant entered in the Derby on or before February 8, 2019 at 12:00 p.m.(noon) will be eligible for the Early Bird Prize to be drawn on February 18, 2019.
12. All eligible fish must be caught using legal angling techniques. Any evidence of illegal practices and/or methods will result in immediate disqualification. Gutted or frozen fish will also be automatically disqualified.
13. Due to the concerns of disease transfer and invasive species establishment, anglers wishing to use baitfish will have to purchase them at Island Lake CA. No baitfish, including frogs and leeches, from outside sources will be permitted in Island Lake CA.
14. Fish must be measured by staff at the Rental Centre or on the ice in order to be registered and eligible for prizes. Staff will be available during the posted regular operating hours of Island Lake CA (8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.). Call the number on the back of your ticket for staff assistance on ice. If you choose the Rental Centre and there is no staff available upon your arrival, you must wait until staff arrives to officially register your fish and be eligible to qualify for prizes.
15. Fish may be registered only once. A fin will be clipped upon registration as proof of registration.
16. All Derby decisions by staff are final. Disputing staff decisions may result in the immediate disqualification of any fish and contestant from the Derby.
17. Credit Valley Conservation (CVC) reserves the right to hold any registered fish for biological examination or genetic testing to confirm geographic origin.
18. If any winner is disputed, CVC shall investigate to determine if the prize-winning fish was caught under the rules of the Derby. Findings of the investigation are final and will determine the winner.
19. Derby standings will be posted and updated at the Rental Centre and at #IslandLakeDerby once daily during the derby.
20. CVC reserves the right to postpone or cancel the Derby at any time due to poor ice conditions on the surface of the lake or other unforeseen conditions. In the unlikely event that the Derby is cancelled on or before Thursday February 7, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. all registration fees will be refunded in full and no prizes will be awarded. Should the Derby be cancelled after this date, the Superintendent, Conservation Parks, will determine the awarding of prizes for the winners of the Derby based on the total number of entries. No refunds, in whole or in part, will be made in the event of Derby cancellation at that time.
21. The staff and the Board of Directors of Credit Valley Conservation, and Credit Valley Conservation Foundation, as well as, members of the Friends of Island Lake are prohibited from participating in the derby.
22. Credit Valley Conservation, Credit Valley Conservation Foundation, Derby sponsors, organizers, and their agents will not be liable for the loss of property or for injury to any contestant or spectator.
23. No snowmobiles, A.T.V.’s or permanent ice huts are permitted within Island Lake CA’s property boundaries.
24. Park User Liability
As a condition of your use of the facilities, properties or bodies of water, you assume all risk of personal injury, death, or property loss resulting from any cause whatsoever including but not limited to cycling, hiking, swimming, all other permitted activities, travel within or beyond the Park boundaries, or negligence, breach of contract, or breach of statutory duty of care or breach of the Occupier’s Liability Act on the part of the Credit Valley Conservation Authority, its employees, agents, volunteers, independent contractors, representatives, sponsors, officers, Board of Directors, successors and assigns (collectively referred to as the Credit Valley Conservation Authority). You agree that the Credit Valley Conservation Authority shall not be liable for any personal injury or death or property loss and you release the Credit Valley Conservation Authority and waive all claims with respect hereto. You agree that any litigation involving the Credit Valley Conservation Authority shall be brought solely within the Province of Ontario and shall be within the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of the Province of Ontario. You further agree that these conditions and any rights, duties, and obligations or litigations as between the Credit Valley Conservation Authority and you shall be governed by and interpreted solely in accordance with the laws of the Province of Ontario and no other jurisdiction
25. I agree that my name may be published online as it relates to the results of the Island Lake Ice Derby or Bass Fishing Derby.