The Credit Valley Conservation Foundation Commemorative Bench Program offers local residents and members of the public an opportunity to pay tribute to a person(s) or occasion by purchasing a bench for placement in one of CVC’s Conservation Areas or owned properties within the Credit River watershed.
Benches have long been a traditional element in park settings. Credit Valley Conservation areas and lands offer unique opportunities for the placement of a commemorative bench. Benches benefit all age groups in providing a resting place along a walking trail or allowing for a place to sit while enjoying your children at play.
What can you commemorate?
- Memory of a loved one
- Birth of a child
- New citizenship
- Wedding or anniversary
- Graduation of a student
- Retirement of a special person
- Valued employee or volunteer
The donation of a Commemorative Bench is subject to the following specific rules.
- The bench selected for this program is a wooden bench with an engraved commemorative plaque located in the middle back. This inscription for the engraving will be provided by you.
- The bench is intended for general use by users of the Conservation Area. No flowers or other forms of memorabilia may be attached to, or left on the ground around the bench. CVC reserves the right to remove and dispose of all memorabilia found attached to, or laying on or around the bench.
- CVC will guarantee the maintenance and upkeep of the bench for a 10 year period.
- The bench remains the property of CVC and the purchaser retains the exclusive right for a period of 10 years, to have a commemorative plaque placed on the bench.
- At the end of the ten-year period CVC reserves the right to remove the bench. In this instance all efforts will be made to contact you to inquire if you would like to continue the bench program by assisting with the necessary maintenance or replacement costs.
Cost of the Bench and Plaque installed:
The cost of the bench selected for the Commemorative Bench Program is between $900 and $1100 depending on type of bench. This fee includes the cost of the bench, engraved plaque, installation (includes cement pad), and applicable taxes.
How to participate:
Requests for commemorative benches are accepted year round and benches are placed as climatic conditions permit. The site will be selected by the applicant and reviewed by CVC staff for its suitability. One on-site meeting may be held with the applicant and a CVC representative as to the best location suitable in the Conservation Area selected.
Conservation Area Locations to Select From:
Benches will be considered for placement in CVC’s Core 10 Conservation Areas. Please note that some locations may not be accepted due to space availability or other factors. We are happy to discuss your choice with you and will do our best to accommodate your preference.
- Belfountain Conservation Area (Sorry, no bench locations available currently)
- Elora Cataract Trailway
- Island Lake Conservation Area (Very limited availability)
- Ken Whillans Resource Management Area
- Limehouse Conservation Area (Sorry, no bench locations available currently)
- Meadowvale Conservation Area
- Rattray Marsh Conservation Area (Sorry, no bench locations available currently)
- Silver Creek Conservation Area (Sorry, no bench locations available currently)
- Terra Cotta Conservation Area (Sorry, no bench locations available currently)
- Upper Credit Conservation Area
How to purchase a Commemorative Bench:
Please contact Jacob Pries, Community Engagement Coordinator at Credit Valley Conservation Foundation: 905-670-1615 x222 or jpries[at]creditvalleyca.ca