Island Lake Bass Derby, July 13 & 14, 2019
Rules & Regulations
1. All contestants agree to abide by the regulations of the Fish and Wildlife Conservation Act and the Rules and Regulations of the Island Lake Conservation Area (Island Lake CA), including the prohibited use of drugs and alcohol.
2. All contestants require a valid Ontario Fishing Licence if you are between the ages of 18-64 years of age. For more information consult the Ontario Fishing Regulations Summary.
3. The Derby will take place on Saturday July 13, 2019 from 7:00 am to 3:00pm and Sunday July 14, 2019 from 7:00am to 3:00pm. No fishing permitted prior to the scheduled times on event dates.
4. Regular derby is open to all persons 12 years and older. In the event that an individual between the ages of 12-17 wins a prize, the prize will be awarded to their parent and/or legal guardian. A separate children’s category is available for ages 11 and under, see details below.
5. Regular (Youth/ Adult) prizes (age 12 and older) will be awarded in four species categories: Largemouth Bass, Northern Pike, Black Crappie and Yellow Perch. Prizes will be awarded to the registered contestant catching the fish that has the highest combined score that includes weight (in grams) and length (in millimetres) in the categories listed above as follows:
1st prize – $2,500 cash + trophy. Name will also be engraved on a plaque/trophy that will stay at ILCA to be displayed.
2nd prize – $1,000 cash + trophy
3rd prize – $500 cash + trophy.
4th prize – $150 cash
5th prize – $125 cash
6th-10th prize – $100 cash
Northern Pike – $150 + trophy
Black Crappie – $150 + trophy
Yellow Perch – $150 + trophy
Note: Measuring example 4lb fish is 1814 grams and measures 406 mm the total score is 2220
6. Children’s trophies (age 11 and under) will be awarded each day in six species categories: Largemouth Bass, Northern Pike, Black Crappie, Yellow Perch, Pumpkinseed/Bluegill and Rock Bass. Prizes will be awarded to the registered contestant catching the fish that has the highest combined score that includes weight (in grams) and length (in millimetres) on Saturday and Sunday individually. Saturday fish will not be carried over for Sunday prizes.
Additional Prizes: Grab bag for 50 first registrants & Participation ribbons
Children’s trophies will be awarded at 3:30pm, both Saturday and Sunday.
7. Each registered contestant is eligible to win one prize.
8. Each registered contestant is eligible to enter their daily catch limit of fish/category/day of the derby. Refer to 2019 Ontario Recreational Fishing Regulations Summary for details. Island Lake Conservation Area is in Fisheries Management Zone 16.
9. This is a catch and release tournament for all categories. Dead fish and fish not deemed returnable are not eligible to be entered. It is the contestant’s responsibility to provide suitable containers, aeration, or other methods of ensuring fish are measured and registered alive. Stringers, travel bags, wire fish baskets or any other methods besides aerated live wells for the transport of live bass or any fish intended for release are prohibited. This applies to fish caught in vessels and on shore. Derby bags will be allowed to transport fish to and from the weigh station provided they are full of water and the fish are alive and in good condition. See “Best Practices to Keep Fish Alive”. All registered fish will be released by derby staff after scoring.
10. Only fish caught after payment of contestant registration fee and pickup of wristband, within the Island Lake CA and within stated derby times will be eligible to qualify for prizes.
11. All eligible fish must be caught using legal angling techniques. Any evidence of illegal practices and/or methods will result in immediate disqualification.
12. Due to the concerns of disease transfer and invasive species establishment, anglers wishing to use baitfish will have to purchase them at Island Lake CA. No baitfish, including frogs and leeches, from outside sources will be permitted in Island Lake CA.
13. In order to be registered and eligible for prizes, fish must be measured by derby staff at the official measuring station at Derby Headquarters near the Rental Centre. Contestant must sign-off on score.
14. Registered fish will be ranked by total length (measured in millimetres) and total weight (measured in grams). In the event of a tie, the prize will go to the earliest registered fish.
15. Derby standings will be posted at the measuring station. Updates will be posted at #IslandLakeDerby
16. All derby decisions by staff are final. Disputing derby decisions may result in the immediate disqualification of any fish and contestant from the derby.
17. Prizes for contestants 12 years and over will be awarded for all eligible categories on Sunday July 14, 2019 at 3:30 p.m. at the Derby Headquarters.
18. Cash prizes will be awarded by cheque from the CVC Foundation. Winning cheques will not be available on Sunday July 14, 2019 and will be mailed within 10 business day to the winners.
19. Each winning contestant in the derby that does not receive their prize on Sunday July 14, 2019 will be notified by the CVC Staff of their prize and how to claim it. All prizes must be claimed by September 1, 2019 or prize is forfeited.
20. Due to low participation or severe weather conditions, the derby may be postponed or cancelled at any time. In the unlikely event that the derby is cancelled on or before Thursday July 11, 2019 at 11:59 p.m. all registration fees will be refunded in full and no prizes will be awarded. If the event is cancelled at any time during the tournament (July 13-14) due to poor weather conditions on the lake/reservoir, based on total number of entries, will determine the awarding of prizes for the winners of the derby. No refunds, in whole or in part, will be made in the event of tournament cancellation due to weather.
21. Refunds, whole or in part, other than for the above reason, will not be considered after July 1, 2019 for any circumstances.
22. The staff and the Board of Directors of Credit Valley Conservation, Credit Valley Conservation Foundation and the Friends of Island Lake are prohibited from participating in the derby.
23. The Friends of Island Lake, Credit Valley Conservation Foundation, Credit Valley Conservation, Derby Sponsors, Organizers, and their agents will not be liable for the loss of property or for injury to any contestant or spectator.
24. Electric motors only, are permitted within Island Lake CA.
25. Derby entry will be capped at 300 youth/adult/child contestants per day.
26. Where a registered angler is fishing out of a watercraft, all additional passengers or anglers in the watercraft must also be registered.
27. All watercraft will be inspected by derby officials prior to launch.
28. Preregistration (online, by phone and in person) will end July 12th, 2019 at Noon (12:00 p.m.). If space permits, registration will reopen in person only at 5:30 a.m. at the Registration Desk each derby day.
29. All preregistered contestants must check in to receive their registration number at the Derby Headquarters in front of the Island Lake Rental Centre prior to fishing.
30. Park User Liability
As a condition of your use of the facilities, properties or bodies of water, you assume all risk of personal injury, death, or property loss resulting from any cause whatsoever including but not limited to cycling, hiking, swimming, all other permitted activities, travel within or beyond the Park boundaries, or negligence, breach of contract, or breach of statutory duty of care or breach of the Occupier’s Liability Act on the part of the Credit Valley Conservation Authority, its employees, agents, volunteers, independent contractors, representatives, sponsors, officers, Board of Directors, successors and assigns (collectively referred to as the Credit Valley Conservation
Authority). You agree that the Credit Valley Conservation Authority shall not be liable for any personal injury or death or property loss and you release the Credit Valley Conservation Authority and waive all claims with respect hereto. You agree that any litigation involving the Credit Valley Conservation Authority shall be brought solely within the Province of Ontario and shall be within the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of the Province of Ontario. You further agree that these conditions and any rights, duties, and obligations or litigations as between the Credit Valley Conservation Authority and you shall be governed by and interpreted solely in accordance with the laws of the Province of Ontario and no other jurisdiction
31. I agree that my name may be published online as it relates to the results of the Island Lake Ice Derby or Bass Fishing Derby.